Welcome fellow scooter enthusiasts. Today we are going to make a review for the Segway Ninebot ES1 Gen2 Electric scooter and discuss how it’s an upgrade over its predecessor the Ninebot ES1 Gen1. Jumping right in, let’s start with the specifications.
General Specs of Segway Ninebot ES1 Gen2 Electric scooter :
The ES1 Gen2 is a flat out upgrade over the 2018 version. It boasts better performance, faster speeds, more optimized battery life and is also lighter than the 2018 version.
Ninebot ES1 Gen2 vs Gen1
- Dimensions: 40 x 17 x 45 vs 42 x 8 x 42
- Weight: 31.3lbs vs 34.1lbs
- Max Speed: 15.5MPH vs 12.4MPH
- Power: 700W vs 500W
- Max Range: 15.5 miles vs 15.5 miles
- Battery: Lithium Polymer vs Lithium-Ion
Besides the obvious, both generation scooters come with a:
- Digital LED display
- The load capacity of 220lbs
- Bluetooth connection to a mobile app
- Cruise control
- LED lights
- Non-pneumatic tires
- Charging time of 3.5 hours
- Battery capacity 187Wh
- Maximum climbing slope 10%
- Front shock absorption
Asembly for Segway Ninebot ES1 Gen2 Electric scooter :
The Segway Ninebot ES1 Gen 2 is a powerful and more robust variant of the ES1 Gen 1 (2018 Version). Equipped with a smart battery management system.
When it comes to the assembly there isn’t much to do both in case of the ES Gen1 and the Gen2. The scooter is pretty much set up out of the box. All you have to do is attach the steering/handle which is super easy, but we suggest you consult the manual just in case.
Make sure to place the headlight towards the front. Once you have placed the steering into the stem, tighten the screws. To ensure if the handle is properly installed, hit the power switch. If the display turns on, you’re good to go.
Note that your electric scooter isn’t fully activated. You need to connect it to the dedicated Ninebot app you can download from the app store. Unless you have activated the max speed of will be capped and some of the functions will be deactivated.
This is a nice feature as the app contains safety instructions and the whole point of this activations is to make the user read through that instruction before your first ride through.
Once you have installed the app, connect it to your scooter, follow the instructions on a safe ride and have a wonderful experience.
Performance for ES1 Gen2 Electric scooter :
The Gen2 version of the Segway Ninebot ES1 electric scooter comes with a more powerful engine allowing for a max speed of up to 15.5mph which is a significant upgrade from the 2018 version.
The max travel distance remains the same at 60km, with no noticeable discomfort whatsoever.
The front and the rear shock absorber (rear shock absorber absent in ES1 Gen1).
Hill climbing grade remains at 10% elevation in the case of both electric scooters.
However, one thing you may come across is the low travel distance during cold weather. While the Gen2 traversed 60km (37 miles) with no issues, we got less mileage from the previous version while driving during cold weather.
Amidst all our testing, we were surprised to see such a powerhouse lurking around the corner. The scooter delivers top-notch performance. We had to stress it REALLY hard to squeeze that battery dry.
The Segway Ninebot ES1 Gen 2 electric scooter delivers exactly 60km of mileage on a single charge, offering us a remarkable riding experience at this price range.
Battery life and charging time
Segway takes their batteries very seriously. Instead of shoving them at the bottom like most scooter manufacturers they have moved it to the stem, which seems to work wonders in terms of performance.
With only 3.5 hours of charging time, you may wonder it’s only good enough to circle your porch. However I hate to break it to you, but that’s not the case.
The Segway Ninebot ES1 Gen2 can travel up to 60km (37 miles) on a single charge, with a max speed of 15.5mph.
Later models (ES3 and ES4) have an additional battery out of the box. In case of the ES1 you have to but it separately.
The scooter has some the best ratio of charging time to travel distance to, compared to any of the previous scooters we have tested. It’s a force to be reckoned with both in terms of mileage and efficiency.
What we liked about ES1 Gen2 Electric scooter :
- Offers flexibility in any situation with three modes- Standard, Battery Saver, and Sport mode
- Fastest scooter in so far (recorded speed of 17mph while carrying a man weighing 180lbs).
- Can climb hills at 45% elevation at half the total speed.
- Best in class brakes with the thumb brakes getting most of the work done. For added control, you can also hit the tail breaks.
- Front and rear shock absorbers
- The well-constructed build feels solid and safe while driving. Charging port also located at the stem instead of the bottom, giving you better access and staying far away from the reaches of pesky pebbles and dirt.
- Easy to set up. You can even install the secondary battery without much hassle.
- The flawless and smooth folding mechanism
What we didn't like ES1 Gen2 Electric scooter :
Honestly, during our time with the scooter, we haven’t been able to find a single flaw. The product delivers exactly what it says on the box. We are surprised as nobody is talking about the fabulous scooter.
- Yes, you can argue that it’s a bit pricey and doesn’t come with a secondary battery, but for what’s its delivering, we would say it’s a steal deal. You won’t get such fine performance not at this price range at least.
- The app needs improvement. For those of you who are not aware of the app, might be confused as to why some of the functions are locked and why is it only traveling at half the speed.
You have to activate the scooter by installing the application and connecting it to your scooter. Unless you do that, most of the functions will be inaccessible and the scooter will be crippled (figuratively speaking). The dev team needs to improve this app because in our opinion, it’s the only that’s holding it back from becoming a premium product.
The Segway Ninebot ES1 Gen2 is the electric scooter of the future. We are surprised as to why we were made of the name this late in the game.
We have heard of it but didn’t take much notice of it at first. However, recently the ES1 Gen2 series has been the go-to choice for most scooter enthusiasts, so we thought of giving it a try. Little did we know that we were in a treat of a lifetime.
It’s unusual for a scooter to have the exact same specification as it’s portrayed in the box. The numbers budge a bit here and there. The ES1 is like the old school marines. Delivering the best performance in the class along with an equally impressive charging time and design.
They also got rid of the low battery placement, something which the electric scooter community has been complaining about for a long time.
Segway has envisioned a product that ticked all the right boxes and delivered it not as a pipe-dream but as a real product. The Ninebot ES1 Gen 2 is a must buy if you’re looking to invest in a scooter. Don’t get scared off by the price, it’s nothing compared to the world of comfort and ease that lies ahead of you when you set foot on the Segway Ninebot ES1 Gen2 electric scooter.